FOr Entering Students
American Psychological Association Graduate Students
Welcome to MSPP!
True professional development extends beyond classroom and clinical experiences. For a psychology graduate student, professional development means being part of the greater psychological community, a community that will help foster your voice and identity as a professional.
Joining the American Psychological Association of Graduate Students (APAGS) provides you instant access to a community of smart, dedicated graduate students like you. As the current Chair of the APAGS Advocacy Coordinating Team (ACT), I invite you to experience your psychological education in new and exciting ways by joining APAGS!
For more information, visit: www.apa.org/apags/welcome.html
Stephanie Tabashneck, M.A.
Campus Representative, Advocacy Coordinating Team (ACT)
American Psychological Association of Graduate Students (APAGS)
Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology
APAGS offers all members enormous opportunities to enhance their development towards a career in psychology and to shape the future of the discipline. With a membership of several thousand members, APAGS is one of the largest constituency groups of the APA, as well as the largest organized group of psychology graduate students worldwide.
Membership in APA and APAGS entitles you to many benefits that will aid your training in psychology, including:
- Subscriptions to the American Psychologist, Monitor on Psychology, and the APAGS magazine, gradPSYCH. (These are all GREAT resources with tips for writing papers, balancing personal and professional life, internship/job interviews, networking, etc.)
- A $10 credit for subscriptions to APA Journals.
- The right to purchase access to APA's online databases like PsycINFO.
- Listservs targeted to a variety of student interests including:
- APAEMGS concerning ethnic minority issues
- APAGSABILITIES concerning disability issues
- APAGSINTERNATIONAL for international students studying psychology in the US
- APAGSLGB for Lesbian, Gay, and Bi-Sexual students
- APAGSINTERNSHIP concerning internship issues
- APAGSWOMEN for women striving for balance between their graduate studies and the rest of their lives
- CLINAPAGS for students studying clinical psychology
- COGAPAGS for students studying cognitive psychology
- MENTORS connecting students with practicing psychologists
- GRADPSYCHTALK a forum for discussions among
- APAGS members and APA/APAGS staff and governance about articles featured in gradPSYCH
- APAGS-DSRN a closed list specifically for student division leaders.
- For more information on this listserv, please contact the APAGS office.
- Internship and career resources such as the comprehensive book, Internships in Psychology (APA, 2005), Internship Listserv, APAGS Internship Workshops, and PsycCAREERS.com.
- Scholarships and awards available to graduate student members of APAGS who are enrolled at least halftime as a student in good standing at a regionally accredited university.
- Access to Professional Liability Insurance for Graduate Students in Psychology from the APA Insurance Trust.
- Information resources created by and for students such as:
- APAGS Survival Guide for Ethnic Minority Graduate Students
- Resource Guide for Psychology Graduate Students with Disabilities
- Prescription Privileges Fact Sheet: What Students Should Know About the APA’s Pursuit of Prescription Privileges for Psychologists
- Networking Guide for Students within State, Provincial, and Territorial Psychological Associations
- Mentoring, Balance and Self-Care – Especially for Women: A Collection of Articles and Resources
You can go to the website to join today: www.apa.org/apags/join.html. Current membership rate is $53.00 for graduate students.