Reading List for New Parents
- The Babyproofing Bible, Jennifer Bright Reich, 2007
More than just a guide to safety locks, stove guards, and baby gates, this book features 320 pages packed with hundreds of tips from parents, healthcare and child care workers, safety experts, and safety organizations.
- Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5, The American Academy of Pediatrics, et al, 2009
A great general reference book put out by the Academy of Pediatrics.
- Touchpoints: Birth to Three, T. Berry Brazelton & Joshua Sparrow, 2006
In this revised edition, new information on physical, emotional, and behavioral development is given. It addresses the new stresses on families and fears of children, with a fresh focus on the role of fathers and other caregivers.
- The Read-aloud Handbook: Seventh Edition, Jim Trelease, 2013
This classic, beloved for more than three decades, has helped countless children become avid readers through awakening their imaginations and improving their language skills. This edition discusses the benefits, rewards, and importance of reading aloud to children of a new generation.
- First-time Parents, Miriam Stoppard, 2006
Updated to include the latest information on birth options, obstetric procedures, and early baby care, this freshly illustrated, practical guide focuses on the special needs and concerns of new parents.
- The 2,000 Best Games and Activities for Baby to Age 8, Susan Kettmann, 2011
This fun, easy guide contains 2,000 games and activities that will help your babies, toddlers, and children reach their full potential--through play.
- Everyday Ways to Support Your Baby’s and Toddler’s Early Learning, Claire Lerner & Rebecca Parlakian
Two-sided bilingual handout shows parents how to support their child’s development-and have fun together-during every day experiences.
- Finding Time for Fatherhood, Bruce Linton, 2009
In this book, the author shares his experiences and insights to help today’s father weather the challenges and understand the personal changes which men encounter when they become dads.
- Solve Your Child’s Sleep Problems, Richard Ferber, 2006
Dr. Richard Ferber, the nation's foremost authority on children's sleep problems, delivers safe, sound ideas for helping your child fall and stay asleep at night and perform well during the day.
- You Are Your Child’s First Teacher, Rahima Baldwin Dancy, 2012
This book explains the different stages of learning that children go through from birth to age six, giving you the wisdom and understanding to enrich your child’s natural development in a timely manner.
- Your Baby Is Speaking to You: A Visual Guide to the Amazing Behaviors of Your Newborn and Growing Baby, Dr. Kevin Nugent, 2011
Dr. Kevin Nugent and acclaimed photographer Abelardo Morell capture the amazingly precocious communications strategies which babies demonstrate from the moment they are born.
- Zero to Three - National Center for Infants, Toddlers, and Families, zerotothree.org
ZERO TO THREE is a national, nonprofit organization that provides parents, professionals, and policymakers the knowledge and know-how to nurture early development.