Cynthia Lucero Scholarship
Each year, we award two Cynthia Lucero Scholarships to deserving students who exhibits a strong dedication and commitment to the delivery of human services to the Latino community. The award is $7,500 per year for a maximum of four years. The Lucero Latino Mental Health Program (LMHP) owes its inspiration to the work of the late Cynthia Lucero, PsyD, an MSPP graduate whose career, in part, was devoted to addressing the needs of Spanish-speaking people.
Applicants are accepted from students planning to enroll in one of our graduate programs. You must be eligible to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and be enrolled full-time (as defined by your program) to be considered for institutional assistance.
Awards are renewable annually, subject to continued satisfactory academic progress, fulfillment of Lucero Scholar responsibilities (described below), and evidence of financial need as determined by the results of the FAFSA.
A LMHP Lucero Scholar Award selection committee will be appointed in the fall semester. The committee will include: LMHP faculty, staff, and a student representative.
- U.S. legal resident
- Interest in participation in LMHP
- Clear interest and commitment to work in the area of Latino mental health
- Good academic standing
- Evidence of financial need (as determined by financial aid office)
- At least intermediate Spanish fluency
Group decision should be made by committee shortly after completion of all admission interviews and before admissions’ offers are made.
Lucero Scholar Responsibilities
- Maintain good academic standing
- Full participation in LMHP activities including:
- Represent MSPP at health fairs, community events etc.
- Representation at MSPP fundraisers i.e. Gala, Lucero Run, etc.
- Open house participation
- Web content contributions
- Posters to be used at events
- Translation support
- Mentoring of other Lucero students
- Contact for prospective students
- General projects/assignments as they come up
- Conference presentations/poster presentations
- Conversation group support
- Disseminate/post news from the Latin world via email and bulletin board to the MSPP community.